Our Skin Clinic Services
When you expose your skin to ultraviolet (UV) radiation from the sun you risk damaging the skin cells, which can cause Skin Cancer.
It is important that you have a Skin Cancer Check at least once a year. If you are frequently exposed to the sun while working or during leisure activities such as surfing you are particularly at risk of developing Skin Cancer.
According to the “Cancer Council of Australia”
Every year, in Australia¹:
- skin cancers account for around 80% of all newly diagnosed cancers¹
- between 95 and 99% of skin cancers are caused by exposure to the sun¹
- GPs have over 1 million patient consultations per year for skin cancer¹
- the incidence of skin cancer is one of the highest in the world, two to three times the rates in Canada, the US and the UK.¹
There are three main types of skin cancer:
- Melanoma – the most dangerous
- Basal Cell Carcinoma (BCC)*
- Squamous Cell Carcinoma (SCC)*
*BCC’s and SCC’s are known as non-melanomas. These are two of the most common forms of skin cancer however most are not life threatening.
For more information on Skin Cancer please refer to the Cancer Council of Australia or book an appointment today for a Skin Cancer Check and consultation with one of our GP’s.